Thursday, March 15, 2012

Peanut Butter Cup Mini Cupcakes

I don't know about you, but when Easter rolls around and all that candy comes out, it's a dangerous thing.  I have a severe addiction to Mini Eggs (it's a good thing they only come out once a year, and I'm not fond of the dark chocolate ones...something about them just doesn't taste right to me), and I love the Reese's Eggs they put out.  I do love Peanut Butter Cups, I mean really who doesn't right?  So why not make it into a cupcake?  The recipe calls to make them minis, but you can make them full size if you like.  Personally, the minis are so freaking cute....but be warned, you will eat a lot of them since they are tiny and highly addicting. 

You can use your favorite from scratch recipe or a box mix.  I went with my favorite from scratch recipe.....which is normally fine, makes about 30 normal sized cupcakes.  Well I was making minis and wasn't thinking about the fact that I only have 1 mini cupcake tin......100 mini cupcakes and hours later I was finally done making them.  The thought of getting another mini cupcake tin did cross my mind, but how often do I make mini cupcakes? It will take up more space in my already growing crowded cabinet of baking ware.  And talking with my friend Kate confirmed that she has the same thought as well and we both see it pointless to get another one.  So I baked in batches and it took way longer than it should of, but I had tons of time on my hands and it didn't bother me. 

Once all cooled, time for the fun part, the peanut butter frosting.  This part is really simple....really the hardest part of all of this is making all the cupcakes.  Pipe a little peak on top of each cupcake and stick them in the freezer to firm up while I melt the chocolate topping.  Dip each one in chocolate (I varied how far I dipped each one, going from most of the top, covering all of the peanut butter to finally going with making the whole top covered in chocolate.  It does require more but it's totally worth it).  Into the fridge they go to set and then it's time to eat. 

I squished it while cutting (it was still cold)
So good! Just like a peanut butter cup and just as addicting.  Be careful not to leave too many around you, you will end up eating them all. 

Peanut Butter Cup Mini Cupcakes


1 chocolate cake box mix or favorite from scratch recipe

Make cupcakes as directions call for.  Let cool fully.

The following amounts are good for 24 mini cupcakes - adjust if needed for more

Peanut Butter Topping:
1/2 cup heavy cream
(1) 10 oz bag peanut butter chips
Glaze:
1 tbsp butter
6 oz semisweet or milk chocolate chips
3 tbsp hot water
  1. Once cupcakes are fully cooled, make the topping.  Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, then pour over peanut butter chips in a heatproof bowl and let stand 5 minutes until the chips have melted.  Whisk until smooth.  Refrigerate until the topping is set, about 10 minutes, then beat with a mixer until fluffy and pale.  Transfer to a pastry bag with a 1" round tip and pipe peaks onto each cupcake.  Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
  2. Make the glaze: Put the butter, chocolate and water in a small, deep microwave safe bowl and melt at 30 second intervals until chocolate is melted, stir until smooth.  Dip the frozen peaks of each cupcake into the glaze, letting the excess drip off.  Refrigerate until set, about 5 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment