Friday, March 16, 2012

Stout Cupcakes

St. Patrick's Day is upon us, and it's time for a festive post.  I had already done Guinness Ice Cream, and I didn't want to repeat something, so I searched for something else to use my Guinness in......Stout Cupcakes.  I'm still not a fan of Guinness, but baking with it is a different story.  And amazingly enough I love the ice cream, so why not try it out in baked goods?  I made these the same day as I made my ice cream base, so no beer went to waste - unlike last time where I had to dump some out because after trying it again I learned I still wasn't a fan of it so down the drain it went.  The weather has been unseasonably warm for this time of year lately, but the smell of spices wafting from my oven while they were baking up was amazing.  It filled my entire home with the scent and made it cozy.  The only thing that could of made it more perfect was if it was raining or snowing out and I was snuggled in under my favorite quilt with some hot chocolate.  But instead I had my windows open and a nice light breeze that occasionally entered through the window couldn't take away thoughts of winter and coziness.

festive green sprinkles

The smell of these baking alone made me so excited to try these, and they don't disappoint.  These cupcakes are delicious.....a grown up gingerbread cupcake with just a hint of Guinness at the end.  Amazingly tasty, moist and sure to please any skeptic.  So what are you waiting for?! Go make these!


Stout Cupcakes
makes 28

3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp baking soda
1 3/4 baking powder
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups unsulfured molasses
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
1 1/4 cups Guinness, poured and settled
Glaze:
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 cup Guinness, poured and settled

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.  Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
  2. With an electric mixer on medium-low speed, beat oil, molasses, brown sugar, whole eggs, yolk, zest and stout until combined.  Reduce speed to low.  Gradually add flour mixture, beating until just combined.
  3. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full.  Bake, rotating halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes.  Turn out cupcakes onto wire racks to cool completely. 
  4. Make glaze: whisk together ingredients until combined.  Use immediately. 
  5. Place cupcakes on a wire rack set over a baking sheet; spoon glaze over cupcakes, let set.

No comments:

Post a Comment