Thursday, March 8, 2012

Mocha Flats

I think I'm beginning to have an addiction/obsession with making cookies that need to be refrigerated for a day before making them.  It just seems so easy.  Make the dough one day, form it into a log and stick it in the fridge until tomorrow. Then you get to slice them up and bake them off.  Frees up a lot of time for those of you who are busy.  And any cookie that you refrigerate can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months (I know I say this a lot lately, but it's really a great tip).  I have a special place in my heart for anything Mocha.  I have a strong love for coffee and chocolate separately, and when they are put together, you get one happy camper out of me.  Any time I see a mocha cookie, I immediately mark it off to make it - I must try them all out.  I still can't decide if this is a good thing or not.  But I am happy I'm slowly picking up more taste testers - I really don't need extra treats in my house, no matter what my stomach thinks it wants. 

The hardest part of making these is really nothing.  Well maybe all the waiting you have to do.  But cookies is something anyone can do, even if you consider yourself someone who "can't bake".  If you rely on box mixes because of the ease and convenience, try out this recipe.  Once you start making your own things from scratch, you will no longer want to buy those box mixes.  Once they are all sliced up and baked off in the oven and cooled,then comes the fun part, dipping them in chocolate. 

they may be small, but they are really good
Let the chocolate set and then you can eat them.  If you love mocha like I do, try these out. 

Mocha Flats
makes about 48 cookies

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp instant coffee crystals
1 tsp water
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 egg
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp shortening

  1. In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt; set aside.  Stir coffee crystals and water until crystals dissolve; set aside.
  2. In a large mixing bowl beat butter and 1/2 cup shortening with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 30 seconds.  Add sugar and brown sugar.  Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl as needed.  Beat in coffee mixture, melted chocolate and egg until combined.  Add in flour mixture and mix until combined.
  3. Divide dough in half.  Shape each half into a 7" long roll.  Wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper.  Chill for 6-24 hours or until firm enough to slice. 
  4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper. Cut rolls into 1/4" slices.  Place 1" apart on prepared baking sheets and bake for 8 minutes, or until edges are firm and lightly browned.  Transfer cookies to wire rack and let cool. 
  5. In a small microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening 30 seconds at a time until melted.  Stir until smooth.  Dip one half of each cookie into chocolate mixture and place back on parchment paper or Silpat.  Let stand until chocolate is set. 

No comments:

Post a Comment