Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I've never really been a fan of Oatmeal Cookies.  I'm not really sure what it is about them that always left me wanting something else - I will always have a soft spot in my heart for regular Chocolate Chip Cookies.  Making them always puts me in a good mood and eating them puts a smile on my face.  And snacking on the dough while making them always seems to happen no matter how hard I try to resist it.  I was cleaning out my cabinet of baking supplies and saw that I had some Oatmeal in there.  I remembered seeing a recipe for Oatmeal Cookies and thought why not try making some.  Just because I haven't really liked any of the ones I've tried before didn't mean I wouldn't like the ones I make.  I'm so happy I tried these out.  Cookies that need to be refrigerated overnight are the easiest thing in the world.  Letting them sit for 24 hours really lets the flavors develop and come together to make a great cookie.  Plus it seems really easy when you make them over 2 days.  And the fact that you can freeze the dough for up to 3 months is a great plus, you never know when you will need some cookies for something. 

I made the dough and tasted a little, and I have to say, it was tasty.  I wrapped them up and stuck them in the freezer.  The next day came and it was time to make these.  Sliced up the dough and onto the cookie sheets they went.  The smell that was coming from my oven was something I wasn't prepared for.  It smelled so delicious I couldn't wait to try one - something that totally shocked me. 

deliciousness
Time came to try one out - and it turns out I was immediately hooked.  I couldn't stop eating them.  I think I ended up eating 4 or 5 of these before I left to deliver them to my taste testers.  I know you might be thinking that it doesn't seem like a lot, but for me it is.  I very rarely eat more than 1 of something I make, sometimes I don't eat it at all.  I am now a fan of Oatmeal Cookies, well at least this version of them. 

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes about 56 cookies

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

  1. In a bowl stir together flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon; set aside.  In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 30 seconds.  Add sugar and brown sugar.  Beat until combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in vanilla until combined.  Add in flour and mix until combined.  Add in oats and chocolate chips.
  2. Divide dough in half.  Shape each half into an 8" long roll.  Wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper.  Freeze for 8-24 hours or until firm enough to slice. 
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.  Cut rolls into 1/4" slices and place 2" apart on prepared cookie sheets.  Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.  Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment